Saturday, July 23, 2011

The last week and a half

The last week and a half has been an emotional roller coster ride for the pre-service training group. Once we got back from our site visits everyone was very happy becauswe we all had so much fun getting to see a day in the life of the current peace corps volunteers. However soon after we returned we discovered that one third of all the people in the group did not pass the language exam that we had taken prior to our site visits. I was very happy that I had passed the test but overall I was sad that the group as a whole did not perform as expected. This feeling was shared by many as we feel like it was more a group failure that the failure of individuals. It is still quite a mistery as to how such a large percentage of us did not pass as we have all been  very enthusiastic about learning the language. So now instead of moving on to learn local languages, our trainers have decided that we will just focus on learning portugese for the next few weeks. Before I was in a language class of people that all lived close to me. Now I am in a class of people that had the same score as me. I feel like I am learning a lot more portugese now and even though I will not be learning a local language during training I feel like I will come out of training with strong portugese.

The day after we were told the bad news we had our placement interviews were we were able to express what time of site and job we would like to be placed with ofr the next two years. I told them that I wanted to do organizational development of a smaller local Mozambiquan NGO and also simultaniously work with a larger international NGO. I told them that I would prefer to be in an area with several other volunteers and that it would be nice to be in a larger town so I could focus on learning Portugese and not a local language. Then from Friday (the day of the interview) to wednesday the day of site anouncements) everyone was just crazy anxious with anticipation. I even had a dream a few night before site anouncements where i saw a sheet of paper with eveyone's name on the left side and their towns on the right side. In the dream i scroled downwith my hand to my name and then saw the name of a southern mozambiquan city next to it.

And then it was wednesday....We were all standing together in a school basketball court with a chalk map of Moz in front of us and the names of all the site writen out on the map. We were given envelopes and said that when we were tole to open the envelope we would all open ours at once and then go stand on our site on the map. 5.....4.....3...2....1....."Open your envelopes!" it took me way longer then it should take a normal human being to open an envelope becauser I think my hands were shaking a bit. Finaly I tore it open and looked at the piece of paper. For the first few seconds i only saw the words describing the NGO I would work with and I was very frustrated that I could not see where it said what site i was going to (that was a very long 2-5 seconds). And then I saw it. "HOLY S#!t!" it was the same damn city i had the dream of. Crazy! So I went over to my site on the map and saw the group of people i would be living close to for the next two years and the ni looked over my sholder and saw the 2 thirds of my group that are all going to be living and working in the North of the Country. it is a little sad that so many of the people I have become friends with will be living so far away but it just gives me reolve (and resorces) to make a big trip through the north of the country at some point in the next 2 years.

More or less everyone is very excited about their placements and group moral is at an all time high. Though we are all so ready to get to site now that we for sure have trouble paying attention during the technical training sessions. I will be working with a larger local mozambiquan organization that runs the spectrum of HIV prevention and treatment. They recieve funding from 2 large INGOs and the US embasy. So it should be a really good experiance. I will be living in a city that is very beautiful and I am excited about exploring it and the serounding area.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You didn't mention the part about everyone opening their envelopes at the same time on the phone. It sounds like the Peace Corps made quite a production out of this defining moment in your term.

    ReplyDelete